Cancelling Tournaments and Dealing with Injuries

I personally believe that competing is a great way to improve on your jiu jitsu’s timing, your overall health and even your mindset. Since last February, I tried to work on whatever holes I noticed on my game from the stacked Philippine Brazilian Jiu Jitsu International Open. By March, I really thought I’d be able to compete from March to May. I initially planned to join the Rollapalooza for March and Pan Asian Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Open for May. Unfortunately, my left thumb was injured in March, and I could barely grip on anything using it. I couldn’t even lift my pants or perform fine motor movements with my left hand.

Injuries, Injuries, Injuries


I injured my hand while gripping the pants of my team mate. Performing a smash pass if I remember it correctly, I wasn’t able to drop my weight immediately which allowed him to squirm and go ape shit with his legs. It was tangled with the fabric and that’s how I got injured. I wasn’t able to grip right or perform thumb in chokes after that. Because of the thumb injury, I let the Rollapalooza pass.

I allowed the thumb to recover, while I continued working for the bigger tourney on May, the Pan Asian Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Open.   I was convinced that it was really smooth sailing from March to May. Sadly, I injured my knee when I wasn’t supposed to few days before the tournament.

I started playing side mount bottom as part of my game plan to cover everything. Practicing some bridge and shrimp motion on a wrestler can really make you work. Then, I was able to do a guard recovery with the space I created. I ended up doing a heavy leg from the granby, and immediately shoulder shimmying backwards. Everything was working well, but then, I was caught off guard as my team mate, by instinct ditched my leg like a rag doll and I hit my knee cap on the mats quite hard. It was 10 days before the Pan Asian Open. So, yes, it was frustrating but at the same time it was a learning experience for me.

Safety First


 I really have to recalibrate my game so I don’t get injured so much. I need to always consider my safety first before doing anything. And lastly, I really need to make sure that I respect the game as a contact sport and not just a game that you can always stay playful. Though it is a good thing to be smooth with your transitions and your movements, you still have to be aware that you can get injured unintentionally.

Last weekend, I just watched from the sideline. Fortunately, I have a few matches you guys can enjoy using the GoPro2. Here’s a Rodirigo Caporal match against Bruno Barbosa in their lightweight match. 

This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply