Rediscovered Passing!

Even before 2012 ended, I already started trimming whatever edible material I could put in my mouth in prep for the 2013 Philippine International Brazilian Jiu JItsu Open. I tried to eat healthy foods as much as I can and go for exercises that would eventually prolong my fatigue threshold. Results were semi fruitful. I entered the weight class without any trouble, I didn't tire as I would expect but I only ended up winning silver against the guy I fought to win the gold last August of 2012. It was an epic rematch in my book. I lost 2-0 only getting 2 advantages for my back take attempt and sweep attempt. 

For the things that didn’t really work out as expected, there were zero matches I started on my guard (not even an open guard). Everyone pulled a Dela Riva/reverse Dela Riva, including the gold medal match. That’s too much YouTube, Miyao and modern jits for all of you fellow white belts. As for the good news, I was able to defend decently against their DLRs, and reverse DLRs. The only time I got swept from a DLR was during the last match. I extended my non-lead leg and the DLR did it's magic to my weak side for the sweep.

I worked on my passing like a mad man for the past months from the time I was swept from the deep half last September 2012. From Marcelo, Mendes Brothers, Rodolfo and lately Lovato, I’m trying to get into the groove of getting the three points and playing a dominant top position.

Perks of sticking to a passing game:

1.    Most guys love to play a flashy guard game for some strange reason. (at least based on experience)

Ever wondered why the best way to kill fire is by throwing water? There are some things that simply exist as opposites of each other. Dialectical opposites produce results. In this case, it’s either an impassable guard that could result to a sweep, submission or back take; or a pass that would yield three points in favor of the top guy.

If you watched the “anti you” video of Professor Keith Owen, this will explain how some guys simply have the game to nullify the other. I believe that part of developing an effective guard kill game is an effective guard passing. I have to admit that I am not really fond of double guards. Demonstrated by the likes of Rodolfo over and over again against good guard players, this type of scenario is basically frustrating for someone who hasn’t seen a magnificent series of passing approaches.


Here's a 27-0 performance by Rodolfo against Lovato mainly playing top. You can even spot a flawless black swan x-pass at 1:30.
 

 
2.    You get more points for passing than taking someone down, or via sweeps.

Sweeps equate to two points same with a take down. For a pass, you get three points. For any Jiu JItsu match, every point counts especially when you put your opponent in a stressful situation that he or she has to work harder for the remaining of the fight.


3.    You end up in a more dominant spot even possibly taking the back or mount

The closed guard is a powerful position. In fact, even the open guard is. Once you stayed away from these compromising positions by heading to at least a side mount, you are definitely on a more favorable spot. Becoming the guy playing top position is definitely more efficiently especially on times when you have to cling to your lead (admit it you want to stall when you are running out of gas!)


 It is always a humbling experience to discover your grey areas especially when someone is going 100 miles per hour in a compressed 5 minute jiu jitsu match. I have to admit that I learned how I’ve been on plateau for so long only relying on my guard to win matches. This time though, I vow to refine my sloppy guard passing to the next level.


This entry was posted on Sunday, March 24, 2013 and is filed under ,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply